The cellmodem plugin is a monitoring plugin for cellular modems. It reports provider and signal quality for GPRS/UMTS(3G)/HSDPA(3.5G) modem cards. It works with (mostly) all cards which support an out-of-band channel for monitoring purposes.
The current features include:
- Display the current network type (GPRS/UMTS)
- Display the current signal level
- Configure the maximum signal level
- Configure the low and critical signal level
- Asking for PIN if modem needs it
- Quick visual feedback on modem and registration status via LEDs
You can download the latest releases from http://goodies.xfce.org/releases/xfce4-cellmodem-plugin/
Tue 16 January 2007
Uploaded version 0.0.5. Changelog:
- Support for autodetecting known modem devices (PCI/USB)
- Support for HSDPA detection (for modems which support it using _OHCIP)
- Smaller leds - most people use absurdely low resolutions.
- No more error after sending pin.
- Added the Czech translation by Michal Várady. Thanks Michal!
Thu 05 October 2006
Uploaded version 0.0.4. Changelog:
- Support for –enable-debug in configure
Wed 04 October 2006
Uploaded version 0.0.3. Changelog:
- Better error handling - Error messages included
- Fixed bugs in remove_leading_chars and remove_trailing_chars
- Fixed modem pin reply in fake driver.
- Added vasprintf - needed for error messages
- Moved some prototypes into cellmodem.h
- Removed C++ style comments
- Enforce pin '1234' on fake driver.
- Cancel pending timers when reinitializing modem.
Sun 01 October 2006
Uploaded version 0.0.2 to SVN. Changelog:
- Fixed error handling.
- Disabled the ask for pin. You can click on the plugin to enter the pin, if it is required.
- Fixed initialization of IO channel in modem_driver_generic.
Screenshot of the modem registered and working. The signal level is low.
Screenshot of the modem requiring a PIN. The yellow LED flashes:
To-do and Wish List
- [Wish] Support to start and stop pppd.
- [ToDo] Add keyboard shortcut to enter PIN
- [ToDo] Feedback if PIN worked, and if not how many attempts left.
- [ToDo] Entering PUK to unlock after invalid PIN entries
- Some cards/drivers sometimes stop to respond on the control channel. This is a driver issue and not a plugin issue. If you come across this problem please e-mail me so we can find a workaround for it.
- Some cards/drivers (happened with me with nozomi driver, Globethrotter 3G/EDGE card) sometimes reply no registration when it is registered. This seems to be related to the card firmware. I will try to find a workaround when it happens again.
Contact the Author
You can contact me through the following e-mail address:
alvieboy «@» alvie «.» com
Just remove the spaces and the « and » characters.