This plugin checks for package updates using the Smart Package Manager.
Works with both Redhat / Fedora (RPM) and Debian / Ubuntu (DEB) packages.
It can also be configured, though with somewhat less features and functionality,
for use with Slackware / Vector (TAR) or Arch Linux (.pkg.tar.gz) packages.
Click the icon to launch the Smart install/upgrade GUI, or middle-click the icon to check for upgrades. This will check using local cache only.
To update channels from the network, use the menu item or dialog button (install the setuid program “smart-update” to avoid sudo and the dialog)
By default, the plugin will check for upgrades / updates on demand only. Recommended is to use check interval for upgrades, and cron for updates.
The following table shows which Package Manager commands are being used:
|P.M.||CHECK FOR UPGRADES (local)||UPDATE CHANNELS (network)|
Checking for upgrades or browsing packages can be done as a regular user,
while updating channels or installing packages requires superuser privileges.
The panel plugin can be configured both in the Xfce-default layout (like in the Fedora desktop) with the application icon of the selected package manager, or in the GNOME-like layout (like in the Ubuntu desktop) with a generic package icon.
When launching the package manager you will be asked to authenticate as the root user (for
su) or an admin user (for
sudo), in order be able to install packages. By installing the
smart-update program, you can avoid this for updating the channels.
Tooltips and icon are normally used for status communication, but notifications can optionally be configured too. Use
--enable-libnotify to enable upgrade notifications
To build plugin from source code in SVN or ZIP, use something like:
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr && make && sudo make install
xfce4-smartpm-plugin-0.4.0.tar.gz - Major update:
- Support added for Pacman+gtkPacman (Arch Linux)
- Fixed bug with configure and newer versions of intltool
xfce4-smartpm-plugin-0.3.2.tar.gz - Minor update:
- Minor changes, added flag for “su” vs. “sudo” auth
- Fixed bug looking in old path only for “smart-root”
xfce4-smartpm-plugin-0.3.1.tar.gz - Minor update:
- Bugfix for Xubuntu package, was not finding gksudo
xfce4-smartpm-plugin-0.3.0.tar.gz - Major update:
- Optionally showing notifications for new upgrades
- Support added for slapt+gslapt (Slackware/Vector)
xfce4-smartpm-plugin-0.2.2.tar.gz - Minor update:
- choosing between upgrade/dist-upgrade (apt backend)
xfce4-smartpm-plugin-0.2.1.tar.gz - Minor bugfix update, bugs resolved:
- ignoring harmless “StateFile” error from apt backend
- fixed wrong icon being displayed when error occured
xfce4-smartpm-plugin-0.2.0.tar.gz - New major version, with new features:
- rename from xfce4-smart-plugin to xfce4-smartpm-plugin
- fixed missing icon from Update menu, wrong GTK class
- add support for Yum+Extender and APT+Synaptic as well
- add new application and package icons, including SVG
xfce4-smart-plugin-0.1.2.zip - Minor changes, to icon drawing and path settings
xfce4-smart-plugin-0.1.1.zip - Updated version, tested with Xubuntu Feisty (Beta)
xfce4-smart-plugin-0.1.0.zip - Initial version, tested with Fedora Core 7 (Test 3)
- Requires Xfce version 4.4.0 or later (external plugin)
- Requires Smart Package Manager version 0.50 or later
- ksmarttray, for KDE
- update-notifier, for GNOME
Written by Anders F Björklund <afb at users.sourceforge.net>
- English (American)
- Arabic, Mohamed Magdy
- Czech, Michal Várady
- Danish, Jens Hyllegaard
- English (British), Jeff Bailes
- French, Mike Massonnet
- German, Pascal Bleser
- Indonesian, Andhika Padmawan
- Japanese, Nobuhiro Iwamatsu
- Latvian, Rihards Priedītis
- Portuguese (Brazilian), Fábio Nogueira
- Portuguese (European), Nuno Miguel
- Swedish, Anders F Björklund
- Turkish, Eren Turkay
- Urdu, Muhammad Ali Makki
- send in your translated xfce4-smartpm-plugin.pot file, please